3515 Lawrence Street ~ Clemmons, NC ~ 27012 ~ 336.778.2738
While you are busy making your festive plans for the upcoming Holidays, please don't forget to include your pets. The holidays are time for giving, but there are some things you should not share with your little best friends. Once you know the hazards, a little precaution and prevention will make holiday's a happy time for everyone.
SOME OF THE MOST COMMON HOLIDAY HAZARDS INCLUDE:
The holiday turkey or chicken will leave a lot of tantalizing bones, but don't feed them to your pet. Beware of steak bones, too. Small bones or bone chips can lodge in the throat, stomach and intestinal tract.
Many of the traditional holiday recipes for people are dangerous to your dogs health. According to the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society, feeding dogs large quantities of a new food, as well as fatty foods, such as turkey gravy, mashed potatoes with butter, and dressing, can cause pancreatitis. This potentially deadly inflammation of the pancreas produces severe symptoms of diarrhea or vomiting.
Holly and mistletoe are extremely poisonous when eaten. The lovely poinsettia may not be truly poisonous, but its milky white sap and leaves can certainly cause gastric distress. With so many hybrid varieties available each year, the best approach is to keep the plants out of your pets reach.
Holiday lights mean more electrical cords for kittens and puppies to chew. Be sure you have cords secured and out of the way.
Lighted candles should never be left unattended and that is even more important if left at kitty's eye level or within puppy's chewing zone. An exuberant tail, a swat of a paw, and candles and hot wax can quickly become disastrous. Anchor candles securely and away from curious faces and feet.
Check around holiday trees and boughs frequently. Ingested needles can puncture your pet's intestines if sharp enough.
Make sure your tree is well secured. If you have a tree-climbing cat or a large dog with a happy tail, anchor the top of the tree to the wall, using a strong cord or rope. Preservatives often used in the water in a tree stand can cause gastric upsets, so be sure it is inaccessible or not used. Avoid sugar and asprin additives in the water as well. Many of the additives used to keep the tree fresh can be toxic if consumed.
Sharp or breakable ornaments, dreidels, and even aluminium foil should be kept out of reach. String Objects, especially tinsel and ribbons, are to be safeguarded at all costs. They are thin and sharp and can wrap around intestines or ball up in the stomach. Tinsel does not digest and any linear foreighn bodies can become stuck in the animal's intestinal tract, causing a blockage or perforating the intestinal wall.
STRESS AND COMPANY:
With everyone coming and going, watch out for open doors and sneaky pets. Make sure your pets have collars and tags on in case of escape. Ask guest to keep and eye out for pets under foot and remind them that sometimes your normally friendly dog or cat may be less than willing to deal with enthusiastic children and rooms full of unfamiliar people. Provide a special quiet place with a blanket and fresh water for your pets to retreat to when the festivities get to stressful.
Unattended alcoholic beverages can be extremely dangerous if consumed by cats and dogs.